Tweeted by @suZen:
(ETA: two things - 1) yes, this is real. feel free to Snopes it or check out the website yourself. not ‘shopped. 2) the kimono thing is also immensely problematic.)
WAIT GUYS. No. Stop. This is seriously a simple mistake. I’m a designer and I can see how easily this can happen.
When making commercial clothes designers pick LOTS of versions of colors until they’re picked. All of these colors have weird names, usually according to Pantone or similar color system. These names are often reflected in the file name when sending them to a vendor. What it looks like happened is BOTH of these dresses were meant to be Manatee Gray because Heather is a different type of fiber and neither of these are Heather.
Somewhere along the way the non-plus size dress was accidentally still named Dark Heather Gray in the file name and it was published on the website. A mistake a designer would catch but a website guy wouldn’t.
If you want to direct your mass anger at someone maybe Pantone or Crayola would be a great start because of their stupid color names. But that’s it. This was a mistake and Target has apologized and as I theorized, they’re BOTH Manatee Gray.
Guys. Pick your battles. This is not one of them!
Thanks for the clarification.
Now that Target has addressed the discrepancy, a few people are insisting this is fake. So let me address what has happened since I tweeted this a day and a half ago.
It’s not fake. As several others have said, it’s real because they checked it yesterday before they removed the gray item from their plus-sized dress listing. Target apologized and you can find that on my twitter feed not long after the original post.
That said, it wasn’t intentional on Target’s part and they quickly provided an explanation in a Forbes.com article. I trust and believe what Target is saying there. Manatee grey is a common color for their merchandise, not associated with size/shape, and it was inadvertent that the two items’ colors were named by different people. These were sorted out in quick order in the conversation attached to the original tweet.
This was an example of social media WORKING - I tweeted them and asked about it after hearing about it from a friend and putting together that different sizes had different names. Target responded. They provided a further explanation - likely because it had enough traction to merit a response - when a reporter asked them about it.
And now we can go back to the important issues we address already. For the people insisting “it’s just a color.” Yes, it’s just a color. But the implication was there to be discussed. In our culture, where many feel it’s their business to comment on other people’s body shape and size, people may get upset when another example of perceived fat-shaming presents itself from a company they trust. That’s what happened here. In this case it was a non-issue and was addressed.
Now if I can just get them to rename these gorgeous chairs Manatee Grey.
^ A great follow-up from the OP.
- blithe-dream reblogged this from hbhive
- blithe-dream likes this
- r0ses-in-my-ribcage likes this
- were-reckless reblogged this from obliviously-rad
- were-reckless likes this
- dickpicky reblogged this from tiredofthemagic
- cfgx3 reblogged this from juelzrenee
- obliviously-rad reblogged this from juelzrenee
- a-m-a-r-i-s reblogged this from hisunshiine
- tiredofthemagic reblogged this from juelzrenee
- fuckk-iit-im-y0ung likes this
- hisunshiine reblogged this from juelzrenee
- juelzrenee reblogged this from a--dreamdeferred
- recovery-dump likes this
- queerical reblogged this from takealookatyourlife
- imoosker likes this
- apollos-dark-eden reblogged this from roxxieyo and added:
- softgrungegrandmother reblogged this from i-mtumbling
- fandommayvary likes this
- i-mtumbling reblogged this from you-want-this-url-huh
- otomiru reblogged this from winters-soldier-has-far-to-go
- poleeze-box reblogged this from you-want-this-url-huh
- homosexualanimejesus likes this
- mmm-youre-original-sin reblogged this from you-want-this-url-huh
- astoldbysenpai reblogged this from you-want-this-url-huh
- miss-sally likes this
- winters-soldier-has-far-to-go reblogged this from you-want-this-url-huh
- you-want-this-url-huh reblogged this from fistingmyself
- loreleileeme reblogged this from dynastylnoire
- fonnatasha reblogged this from mariavontraphouse
- fandomshipper likes this
- nosylla1011 likes this
- whichester likes this
- wincestille likes this
- radioactivebagel likes this
- radioactivebagel reblogged this from megsghost
- daisybabey likes this
- daisybabey reblogged this from megsghost
- winchesters-at-hogwarts reblogged this from megsghost
- assholdersupreme likes this
- assholdersupreme reblogged this from megsghost
- skyeh616 likes this
- skyeh616 reblogged this from megsghost
- megsghost reblogged this from waywardbard and added:
- insert-picture-here likes this
- chernicals likes this
- activismandsnaps reblogged this from anatomical-anomaly