As my long-time readers know, abortion is an issue I’m very passionate about. So passionate that I have a bookmarks folder simply labeled “Abortion” that has about 75 links in it. For your edification, some of my favorite response to pro-life ignorance:
“Banning abortions would decrease abortions.”
Nope - abortion rates are the same in places where they’re illegal. But women and other pregnant people have to get dangerous illegal abortions, which are often unsanitary and not performed by medical professionals. Or worse, they do it themselves.
“Funding Planned Parenthood funds abortions, even though the Hyde Amendment prohibits it.”
Actually! Federal funds for family planning prevent 800,000 abortions per year.
“Abortions cause breast cancer.”
“Most women regret their abortions.”
Yes, some people do regret their abortions. Some people regret not having one too. Some people regret having kids, and some people regret not having kids. Some people regret their hair cuts. “You might regret doing it” is not a valid reason to make something illegal.
“Abortion causes mental illness.”
The American Psychological Association put together a special task force to investigate if there is a link between getting an abortion and mental illness, and found no evidence to suggest that there is.
“Before Roe v. Wade, there weren’t abortions.”
Ahahaha, no. Read this incredibly Mother Jones story about “The Way It Was” in America before legal abortion. Abortion has always existed and will always exist. The key is keeping it safe and legal and trying to reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies through sex ed and accessible family planning.
“Just tough it out with the pregnancy for 9 months and give your child up for adoption.”
First of all, pregnancy is not some “inconvenience” you “tough out.” A year ago, I asked my readers to submit stories from their own pregnancies with the tag #9months (whether they terminated the pregnancy or not). Read their stories here. Pregnancy is expensive, painful, and all-consuming. Every single aspect of your life is affected by it. It’s not like getting a root canal.
Second, giving your child up for adoption is actually a mental health risk, unlike abortion.
Third, there are hundreds of thousands of children in the foster care system right now who are waiting to be adopted. Unless you’re planning on giving up your white, perfectly healthy baby right after you give birth, your child will probably languish in the system for the majority of their lives.
“But I saw this Silent Scream video…”
If you’ve never read “The Only Moral Abortion is My Abortion,” please do. It’s very eye-opening about how pro-lifers justify their own abortions (yes, they get them). If you’re someone who is still conflicted about being pro-life or pro-choice, I highly recommend “How I Lost Faith in the Pro-Life Movement” for some eye-opening insight on the reality of the pro-life faction.
So at the end of the day, choice is important because 1) banning abortions doesn’t prevent them from happening, 2) women (and people with uteruses who don’t identify as women) have the right to have sex without giving up their body for nine months thereafter, 3) the only things that prevent abortion are thorough sex education and access to birth control.
If you have any specific questions about abortion, I will be answering them all day today.
- 0-90195 likes this
- suicidallyreckless likes this
- askboo likes this
- whoaeasytiger reblogged this from bittermeggirl
- prochoiceinpink likes this
- monstergirlsinc likes this
- cafeaulaitbunny likes this
- tartnouveau likes this
- kiyarasabel reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- luigita3 reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- charliehanson reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- iseulttoinjury reblogged this from stfuetiquetteblogs
- thegalskeptic reblogged this from lipstick-feminists
- rdnatpel likes this
- itsclaire9 reblogged this from size10plz
- effingbrave likes this
- emenihta likes this
- oldziekill reblogged this from lipstick-feminists
- mgraceee reblogged this from finedineonmyvegangenitalia
- withwordsicouldnotspeak reblogged this from manscout
- genisnailia likes this
- manscout reblogged this from otherkin-taco
- honey-bags likes this
- pandaplace likes this
- pandaplace reblogged this from stopthattimerave
- splitwires reblogged this from stopthattimerave
- splitwires likes this
- stopthattimerave reblogged this from stfuetiquetteblogs
- vomita reblogged this from feminist-space
- antireal reblogged this from wretchedoftheearth
- everyonecanhaveaparadox likes this
- owluminati likes this
- houtarouismyspiritanimal likes this
- yuumonsoon likes this
- eaeonic likes this
- gifantasie likes this
- livelaughloveliberally reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- blissy-leaves likes this
- loveyourself-gethealthy likes this
- weareextraordinarypeople reblogged this from size10plz
- rebelatnight likes this
- jasmine-coal reblogged this from shadeblackberry
- keyofcminor reblogged this from abhortion
- skadooshthebat likes this
- maybeitsmadness likes this
- andthedamned likes this
- extantecstasy reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- 1000peoplerioted reblogged this from lipstick-feminists and added: