(Rebloggable version of this reply, per request.)
Well, here’s the deal, anon. The Salvation Army is an evangelical Christian group, and they impose those beliefs on the people that they employ and the communities they serve. Here are a few examples:
They are so opposed to LGBT rights that they have lobbied multiple times for exemptions from Federal and Local anti-discrimination laws, and threatened to withdraw their services.
They refused to provide shelter to a homeless gay couple, unless they broke up and renounced their homosexuality.
They refused to provide a transgender woman with shelter that was congruent with her gender presentation, instead insisting she house with men. She chose instead to sleep on the sidewalk and died from the cold.
Speaking of gender, there was also this charming incident where one of their hostels refused to open the door for a 17-year-old victim who had just been brutally raped (or even call the police for her) because that particular hostel had a strict “men only” policy.
Children who can’t prove their immigration status are turned away.
The organization also disposes of any Harry Potter or Twilight related donations (rather than giving them to other charities), because they claim the toys are “incompatible with the charity’s Christian beliefs”.
During the Bush Administration (thanks to ‘faith-based initiatives’) they fired about 20 long-time employees (Jewish, Muslim, Hindu and Gay), simply for refusing to sign the organization’s statement of Christian belief.
So, that—in a nutshell—is what’s wrong with it.
Winter is coming… and so are their buckets. Remember this when they’re bothering you for change.
- thecynicofthistown reblogged this from theboycanthelpit
- ohsweeetperfection reblogged this from casphernelia
- shibbeh likes this
- yanorayanora likes this
- mydearfriendtoto reblogged this from dolthalion
- vaivaisparta reblogged this from partapotso
- nadakariri likes this
- utopic-dystopia likes this
- fitnessmeltdown likes this
- utopic-dystopia reblogged this from politicalcorrectnessbedamned
- dosed-by-you reblogged this from burdbrain
- naked-among-wolves reblogged this from cirque-de-morgue
- partapotso reblogged this from burdbrain
- partapotso likes this
- politicalcorrectnessbedamned reblogged this from cirque-de-morgue
- cirque-de-morgue reblogged this from arctic-silence
- burdbrain reblogged this from arctic-silence
- colamonroe reblogged this from arctic-silence
- arctic-silence reblogged this from dmdown
- arctic-silence likes this
- pizzaschrist reblogged this from rikkarawrs
- rikkarawrs reblogged this from kermittheamphibian
- concepire reblogged this from professorspork
- daremix37 likes this
- daremix37 reblogged this from sinshine
- piercethefuckingsquidgy reblogged this from sherlockscumberbabe
- my-world-my-blog reblogged this from blessed-are-the-rowdy
- argylepigeon reblogged this from captain-fucking-hindsight
- vegan-unfriendly reblogged this from escapethepeople
- blessed-are-the-rowdy reblogged this from blue-satsuma
- duskirises reblogged this from blue-satsuma
- tothe-tardis-andbeyond reblogged this from cleverblondeinaunionjack
- the-sleepwalking reblogged this from escapethepeople
- bonemonger likes this
- screamingforaliens likes this
- brokenpromises2141 likes this
- crosherlock reblogged this from tomlocked
- blue-satsuma reblogged this from escapethepeople
- captain-fucking-hindsight reblogged this from watserface
- escapethepeople reblogged this from sherlockscumberbabe
- graci-e likes this
- vespertiliocanor likes this
- rice-baller likes this
- rice-baller reblogged this from sherlockscumberbabe
- gaykatniss reblogged this from hetaheart
- carteduciel reblogged this from hetaheart
- carteduciel likes this
- headasexual likes this
- hetaheart reblogged this from kermittheamphibian
- hetaheart likes this