(Rebloggable version of this reply, per request.)
Well, here’s the deal, anon. The Salvation Army is an evangelical Christian group, and they impose those beliefs on the people that they employ and the communities they serve. Here are a few examples:
They are so opposed to LGBT rights that they have lobbied multiple times for exemptions from Federal and Local anti-discrimination laws, and threatened to withdraw their services.
They refused to provide shelter to a homeless gay couple, unless they broke up and renounced their homosexuality.
They refused to provide a transgender woman with shelter that was congruent with her gender presentation, instead insisting she house with men. She chose instead to sleep on the sidewalk and died from the cold.
Speaking of gender, there was also this charming incident where one of their hostels refused to open the door for a 17-year-old victim who had just been brutally raped (or even call the police for her) because that particular hostel had a strict “men only” policy.
Children who can’t prove their immigration status are turned away.
The organization also disposes of any Harry Potter or Twilight related donations (rather than giving them to other charities), because they claim the toys are “incompatible with the charity’s Christian beliefs”.
During the Bush Administration (thanks to ‘faith-based initiatives’) they fired about 20 long-time employees (Jewish, Muslim, Hindu and Gay), simply for refusing to sign the organization’s statement of Christian belief.
So, that—in a nutshell—is what’s wrong with it.
Winter is coming… and so are their buckets. Remember this when they’re bothering you for change.
- emilyauditore reblogged this from princebelial
- theyoungwitch reblogged this from thedragoninmygarage
- theyoungwitch likes this
- dr-fabulicious reblogged this from belledict
- belledict reblogged this from fursasaida
- belledict likes this
- irrelephantia reblogged this from 50shadesofacceptance
- zoenicoler likes this
- queenseven reblogged this from thepoliticalfreakshow
- newtnoots reblogged this from samkiecker
- theevidenceagainst reblogged this from autumnpunk
- nogitsunepls likes this
- samkiecker reblogged this from newtnoots
- newtnoots likes this
- absolutely-fatal reblogged this from pineappleshaker
- afterthestorms reblogged this from pineappleshaker
- illusionsandambitions likes this
- pineappleshaker reblogged this from feminismthough
- heirofspider8reath reblogged this from shonenprince
- orilynn likes this
- pandalianxx reblogged this from identitypollution
- supernaturallyartistic likes this
- wanderingvamp reblogged this from fireflyca
- midnightcoffee14 likes this
- tout--ou--rien likes this
- swedishfangirlsftw reblogged this from feminismthough
- noellehannahm reblogged this from presidentjohnkennedy
- the-frozen-everdeen reblogged this from stillsanebabe
- stillsanebabe reblogged this from takeme2brochu
- halphalp reblogged this from razzledazzleflux
- halphalp likes this
- umb-re-on reblogged this from razzledazzleflux
- razzledazzleflux reblogged this from really-cool-leaf
- timmonsville reblogged this from onlyblackgirl
- kelsiq reblogged this from onlyblackgirl
- kelsiq likes this
- emmiflow reblogged this from nyxquil
- badskin-d0llheart likes this
- the-slickest likes this
- itsallgreekto reblogged this from the-dear-leader
- nyxquil likes this
- akaniiism reblogged this from fuckyeavanity
- fawzya234 reblogged this from gaygirlwithablog
- fawzya234 likes this
- steeltrap-labia likes this
- captain-cameltoe likes this
- bulldoser reblogged this from gaygirlwithablog
- gaygirlwithablog reblogged this from sayhellojen
- sayhellojen reblogged this from sensitively-indifferent