(Rebloggable version of this reply, per request.)
Well, here’s the deal, anon. The Salvation Army is an evangelical Christian group, and they impose those beliefs on the people that they employ and the communities they serve. Here are a few examples:
They are so opposed to LGBT rights that they have lobbied multiple times for exemptions from Federal and Local anti-discrimination laws, and threatened to withdraw their services.
They refused to provide shelter to a homeless gay couple, unless they broke up and renounced their homosexuality.
They refused to provide a transgender woman with shelter that was congruent with her gender presentation, instead insisting she house with men. She chose instead to sleep on the sidewalk and died from the cold.
Speaking of gender, there was also this charming incident where one of their hostels refused to open the door for a 17-year-old victim who had just been brutally raped (or even call the police for her) because that particular hostel had a strict “men only” policy.
Children who can’t prove their immigration status are turned away.
The organization also disposes of any Harry Potter or Twilight related donations (rather than giving them to other charities), because they claim the toys are “incompatible with the charity’s Christian beliefs”.
During the Bush Administration (thanks to ‘faith-based initiatives’) they fired about 20 long-time employees (Jewish, Muslim, Hindu and Gay), simply for refusing to sign the organization’s statement of Christian belief.
So, that—in a nutshell—is what’s wrong with it.
Winter is coming… and so are their buckets. Remember this when they’re bothering you for change.
- ondibri reblogged this from thelittleblackboy
- ihavetogrowup reblogged this from claudiaboleyn
- c-o-n-s-u-l-t-i-n-gcriminal reblogged this from captain-dorko
- kurlozandblacktor reblogged this from melpopenn
- kurlozandblacktor likes this
- slenderhootax reblogged this from overlord-aliterasu
- n0u15derp likes this
- dreamsdelirium reblogged this from autumnyte
- melpopenn likes this
- deanobsession reblogged this from talkingfruitbat
- melpopenn reblogged this from whimsicalapothecary
- scumsucking reblogged this from dark-whimsy
- itdidntfeelpink reblogged this from kaeandlucy
- spaceyoddity likes this
- aphsitaly likes this
- heartlessmachinegirl reblogged this from turada
- whimsicalapothecary reblogged this from overlord-aliterasu
- dont--look-at-me likes this
- dont--look-at-me reblogged this from hamstersatan
- some-random-face reblogged this from dark-whimsy
- sabhira reblogged this from pornithologist
- overlord-aliterasu reblogged this from cannibalpsychopath
- xflintx likes this
- spooky-krissy reblogged this from reyairia
- forthesheerjoyofit reblogged this from cortexiphankids
- forthesheerjoyofit likes this
- dark-whimsy likes this
- dark-whimsy reblogged this from little-smartass
- queeniequeerie likes this
- hamstersatan reblogged this from original-southern-timelord
- hamstersatan likes this
- caustickay reblogged this from phosphorescent-naidheachd
- caustickay likes this
- awkwardmenagerie likes this
- arra-tech reblogged this from startrekrenegades
- kisslee reblogged this from rooonil-waazlib
- angelo-saxon likes this
- turada reblogged this from class-struggle-anarchism
- trusmurff reblogged this from team-soprano
- vangoghsghost likes this
- pandasinmyhouse reblogged this from kaimas-is-coming
- pandasinmyhouse likes this
- rachael-with-an-a reblogged this from maybewesortoosoon
- teacupfoxes likes this
- bienfilatre likes this
- grrranjolbells likes this
- alienstimetravellersespers reblogged this from reyairia
- iamananimefreak likes this
- iamananimefreak reblogged this from original-southern-timelord and added:
- keeperoftales likes this