Wage discrimination against women in America is a harsh reality. Women will lose over $431,000 over the course of their careers.
Actually this is a myth and it is actually not correct. At least it is not due to discrimination.
It is not a myth. The refutations are the ones based on myth instead of fact.
Via the Harvard Business Review, myths about the wage gap.
Myth: It’s mainly a pipeline problem.
For the past two decades, the assumption has been that as we reach the point that entry-level cohorts are equally gender divided, those cohorts will in due course yield equal numbers of women and men at the top. We found, however, that even with their very first job after MBA graduation, women start from behind when it comes to level and pay—even after we controlled for prior work experience, industry, region, and other factors. And not only do women lag men at the outset, but over time, as careers progress, they experience less steep rises in both organizational position and pay. Amongst this group of MBA grads, “giving it time” only widens the gap that starts from day one.
Myth: To the extent there’s still a gap, it’s because of women’s choices.
We often hear it argued that the uneven accomplishment of men and women is not due to any unfairness but is only the natural outcome of women’s lesser ambitions, or their decisions to throttle back on their careers while their children are young. That was a theory easily tested as our high-potential group included many women and men who explicitly aspired to become CEO or reach similarly high office, and who did not have kids. Even among these subsets, women lagged men from day one.
Ernst & Young Chairman and CEO James S. Turley has talked about how important it is to ask women about their aspirations. “When I hear someone say that the woman doesn’t want that job promotion, I cringe. Most times they’re wrong. Did she really say it? Or did someone say to her that she doesn’t want it? There’s a huge difference between ‘do you want this job?’ and ‘you don’t really want that job, do you?’ Or, even worse, the question isn’t even asked. It’s a silent problem. Asking begins to address the problem, and how we ask matters.”
More at the link.
Hope that helps!
^^ Love those truth bombs. There is NO REASON the pay gap should exist, and for fuck’s sake, it definitely DOES exist.
- nequams reblogged this from nico-mirallegross
- nico-mirallegross reblogged this from knopeyep
- alleeamarigold reblogged this from modernfeminism
- silly-jerk likes this
- silly-jerk reblogged this from sexistmorons
- hairweavekillerr likes this
- streetcornerlove likes this
- nyucmep reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- nyucmep likes this
- harrowsford likes this
- littleshopofhoruss likes this
- k-ann26 reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- k-ann26 likes this
- scrupule reblogged this from politicaldirtylaundry
- juliavictoria reblogged this from sexistmorons
- horribly likes this
- ladyofthemeadow reblogged this from charliehanson
- charliehanson reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- apairofovaries reblogged this from lipsredasroses
- andnonefornonsensebye reblogged this from pixyled
- iturnedintoatree reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- lazyducklings reblogged this from feminismisprettycool
- jarrydwillis reblogged this from kangofu-cb
- taramcmanus reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- beautifuldynamite reblogged this from the-wolfbats
- badwolfsvortex reblogged this from extantecstasy
- toiletllama reblogged this from addieis
- addieis reblogged this from classickk and added:
- beautifuldynamite likes this
- bunnstar reblogged this from the-wolfbats
- lifeconfusedbunny reblogged this from the-wolfbats
- the-wolfbats reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- metropolitankindling reblogged this from msnyx
- arugulabagels reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- catchfireandignite likes this
- ivorymembranes reblogged this from thehorannetwork
- ephere likes this
- aliciavictoria48 reblogged this from iamonlyhereforirishdance
- fallenagain reblogged this from iamonlyhereforirishdance
- laberinto-del-palabras likes this
- sailor-rurouni likes this
- turbo1nix reblogged this from maddylouboo
- semanthics reblogged this from boxlunches
- forbennett reblogged this from lipsredasroses and added:
- 3vynn reblogged this from maddylouboo
- 3vynn likes this
- maddylouboo reblogged this from redsunrisinginthesky
- maceva reblogged this from thelittlestthrasher
- redsunrisinginthesky reblogged this from wespeakfortheearth