[NB: More people than just cis women will be affected by this law.]
That is the first line of The Salt Lake Tribune’s write up of this disgusting law, which now looks poised to be signed by Utah’s governor.
A similar law passed in South Dakota but has been held up in courts. In response to the passage of that law, NARAL posted this piece in 2011 about what a 72hr waiting period means.
Such laws, of course, disproportionately hurt poor people.
This is the most radical waiting period in the country. It was debated for 15 minutes in the House with only one person speaking against it, Rep. Carol Spackman Moss. It received 53-seconds’ attention in the Senate.
This is disgusting. To not only are states passing ridiculous laws that show the inherent distrust that politicians have in pregnant people but Utah politicians couldn’t even spend actual time debating it?
To contact the governor of Utah, Gary R. Herbert, to ask him to VETO #HB461:
PHONE #s: 801-538-1000 and 800-705-2464
As I said yesterday with Arizona and Kansas, this is NOT the moment where we make statements like, “Oh, that’s just Utah. Why don’t people move? What more do you expect? Oh well. *shrugs*.” Because you know who that helps? NO ONE. And you know what that make Utah residents who need/want access to abortion care feel like? Not important.
So, let’s make as much noise as possible. Don’t let this go by without us showing that we see, that we are watching, THAT WE CARE.
Just a quick summary of why these “forced waiting periods” are awful:
- They have no medical purpose.
- They exist solely to shame pregnant people into reconsidering a medical procedure.
- Many pregnant people don’t have the money to skip work twice and travel all the way to the nearest abortion provider, which could be hours away or even in another state.
- leftistshuffle reblogged this from stfuconservatives and added:
- linneakou reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- punkassbook-jockey reblogged this from peachtime
- swordofomens reblogged this from kijikun
- drunkvulcan reblogged this from prolongedeyecontact
- gameboygirl reblogged this from fuckyeahplannedparenthood
- foulmouthedliberty likes this
- sans-nuage reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- you-know-what-i-did-in-the-dark reblogged this from theratswefeed and added:
- swordofomens likes this
- intrepidvector likes this
- tombstonesandcollarbones reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- thedizzycity reblogged this from afillerurlfornow
- amoebaing reblogged this from windchiming
- ohno-itsyou-again reblogged this from fallglimmersparkleandfade
- katherinegryffindor reblogged this from orbitingasupernova
- dendroica likes this
- politicore likes this
- viviano reblogged this from sarahlee310
- spartanninja reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- sarahlee310 reblogged this from silas216
- sarahlee310 likes this
- viva-zapata reblogged this from bebinn
- valiumpoetics likes this
- misstransatlantic reblogged this from keepyourbsoutofmyuterus
- fallglimmersparkleandfade reblogged this from buckycaps
- fallglimmersparkleandfade likes this
- fyrmayj reblogged this from inappropriations
- windchiming reblogged this from napalmjoy
- shaunsense reblogged this from legendaryguardian
- fudgenuggetsandcryptonite reblogged this from littlesoy
- fudgenuggetsandcryptonite likes this
- cellophaneflower reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- the-politicat reblogged this from stfuconservatives and added:
- my-turn-to-be-brave reblogged this from weaseltotheface
- har-megiddo reblogged this from silas216
- har-megiddo likes this
- silas216 reblogged this from keepyourbsoutofmyuterus
- silas216 likes this
- princekazunari reblogged this from esmethenotsogreat
- daggerpen likes this
- geodetea likes this
- recursiverecursion likes this
- the-skooma-cat reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- ghostingthespace reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- bisexualpotato reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- morbidyetdelightful reblogged this from deeply-spaced
- deeply-spaced reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- fromstarstostarfish likes this
- nerdlover510 reblogged this from stfuconservatives