Catholic Girl Problem #38: Wanting to adopt the babies that are being aborted but being too young and/or unmarried.
I’ve seen tons of babies at Planned Parenthood, but I’m pretty sure their moms would object to you trying to “adopt” them. Quit trying to steal babies, Catholics!
What the fuck is this tumblr? I went to Catholic school for 16 years, and I have never seen anyone in my life wear a chapel veil. What even is a chapel veil? I have never met a Catholic school girl that talks like this, or thinks like this.
Some real problems faced by Catholic girls:
- Being baptized and confirmed into a religion that you are incapable of truly understanding and/or critically thinking about;
- Freezing your damned ass off all winter long because Catholic girls can’t possibly wear pants to school;
- Being shamed for your parents’ divorce because you’re the only kid not from an ‘intact’ family;
- Being indoctrinated to think your worth is tied to your virginity;
- Being inundated with constant, unacknowledged sexism;
- Being expelled from school for sexual activity and/or having an abortion;
- Being molested by clergy members who are moved around by the enabling church hierarchy;
- Being afraid to acknowledge to yourself, your friends, and your family that you’re LGBT, because you’ve been taught that’s immoral.
I could go on, folks.
Reblogging myself BECAUSE I CAN, folks.
I have something to say about this. The fact that somebody has made a Tumblr devoted to glorifying the sexism of a religion made up of many, many sexist people (no, not all Catholics are sexist. I have good friends who are Catholic and amazing people). I want to talk about how fucking personal this issue is to me.
That first point. That first point is why I have such utter contempt for so much of Catholicism. The thought of that first one quite literally brings tears to my eyes and a lump to my throat as I remember how in seventh grade, at age 13, I was “confirmed” into a religion that I had decided I didn’t follow. Sorry, folks. It’s not “confirmation” unless there’s consent, and there wasn’t. I didn’t ask to be confirmed. It just happened. I literally could not refuse. My mother would not listen to me when I told her I didn’t want to be Catholic.
And back then, I didn’t realize just how much I didn’t want to be Catholic. I was, let me remind you, thirteen years old and had gone to a Catholic school till sixth grade. All my life I had had everyone around me except my father telling me I had to be Catholic (My father doesn’t really stick his nose into the whole religion thing).
And nobody ever told me about the stupid things the Church does. All I ever heard about was “help the poor childrenses in Africa” and “be a good girl”. And all this with religion classes every week where the only thing ever really taught was old Bible stories.
When we discussed sex ed, I admit it could have been worse. But they didn’t mention either male or female orgasms, just ejaculation. At least they mentioned masturbation. Like I said, it could have been worse.
4 also reminds me of how ZOMG U SHUD NEVER HAVE TEH SEXXXX. I feel like, even though at this particular point in my life I don’t want to have a sexual relationship, that I want one at some point in the future, preferably within the next few years. But I feel so burdened by the guilt that this religion has put onto me that I don’t know if I’ll be able to comfortably have sex without a lot of real, hard work to get past all this fucking bullshit about how if I’m a girl and I have sex it’s A Terrible Thing.
5 also reminds me of my past. “Why can’t girls be priests?” I would ask. Nobody ever told me why. The answer was always something like, “Because only boys can be priests.” Nobody ever gave me an answer deeper than that. And you know why? Because there IS no fucking reason.
8. I am fucking terrified of my mom knowing I’m bisexual. I’m fucking terrified of the fact that I’m bisexual. My mom doesn’t. I know I myself even have internalized homophobia about it. Not because it’s hard to believe, but because I’m so scared of what people will think about me. Because I’m so scared of the fact that I’m something besides the “perfect” ideals of the Catholic Church. I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to be in a relationship with a woman because of this stupid fucking Christian guilt.
I’m freaking crying right now after writing this post. This is only a fraction of the horrible feelings this fucking pathetic religion has instilled in me.
If you read this, please think of the millions of girls who are told they are worthless and objects to be manipulated every single day. I know I don’t have it NEARLY as bad as some do, and even this just fucking hurts. Remember them. Remember us when you think bringing up people as religious isn’t so bad.
^ All of this. I was raised Catholic too. One thing in particular that I remember was when a woman came to talk to us about the importance of abstinence.
She had three kids stand up at the front of the room. She took a piece of scotch tape and put it on one kid’s sweater, then took it off and put it on the next kid’s shirt, and then on the third person’s clothes. Then she held it up and showed us how it didn’t stick any more. The piece of tape was useless because it had been used before. And that was their analogy for having sex before marriage. That you are worthless if you have sex.
I’m reallllllllly tired of getting Asks saying, “But not all Christians are that bad! It’s only SOME Christians!” Don’t care. Take it up with your church leaders and ask them to stop being terrible, and I’ll stop generalizing. I’m not the problem here. the tyranny of Christian belief is the problem. If you’re liberal and a Christian, great, but I’m not going to stop openly mocking how awful your religion’s leaders are because of it.
You can be liberal and Christian. In fact, given Jesus’ example, I’m not really sure how you could be Christian and NOT in favor of the party that feeds the hungry and aids the poor. But that doesn’t mean people have to take your feelings as an ~*oppressed Christian*~ into account when we say stuff like, “Wow, it’s so fucked up that every Christian religion is primarily run by white men!” or “Wow, it’s so fucked up that Christians claim gay marriage is infringing on their rights” or “Wow, it’s so fucked up that Catholic organizations won’t cover birth control in their employees’ health insurance plans.”
If you have a problem with how Christians are lampooned for being backward and misogynist and homophobic, take it up with the other Christians, not us.
- simplylovlymusic likes this
- yvonniski likes this
- emilytheamazingcatholicseaturtle likes this
- crazycoconut likes this
- miemiejiin likes this
- polishfeminist reblogged this from underratedwoman
- polishfeminist likes this
- nothingbutdreamsandmemories reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- finer-thingz-club likes this
- seaglassandstormclouds reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- evashandor reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- twat-waffler reblogged this from stfueverything
- shutupbryn reblogged this from face--the--strange
- happymonsters likes this
- nomnom5 reblogged this from face--the--strange and added:
- face--the--strange reblogged this from fragmentsofsurvival
- face--the--strange likes this
- overlygeneric reblogged this from stfueverything
- nezumi-chan reblogged this from stfueverything
- rareandradiantmaiden likes this
- tinfoiledagain reblogged this from stfueverything
- young-nd-wild-nd-free reblogged this from mycatholicgirlproblems
- faunslabyrinth reblogged this from i-am-a-child-of-time
- wibblywobblysexywexy likes this
- tyranny-saurus likes this
- fragmentsofsurvival reblogged this from stfueverything and added:
- xanaldy likes this
- onceuponanotsolongtimeago reblogged this from stfueverything
- nevelvlek likes this
- sebabug reblogged this from stfueverything
- femmegedon likes this
- iimpavid likes this
- rapunzelie reblogged this from stfueverything
- i-am-a-child-of-time reblogged this from stfueverything and added:
- backwardsandinheels reblogged this from stfueverything and added:
- yourmotherisafish likes this
- babysmurf likes this
- hellionette reblogged this from stfueverything
- jonathan-cunningham likes this
- kbutno reblogged this from stfuconservatives and added:
- ladymangoberry likes this
- aktwerkthatbooty reblogged this from mauramcbadass
- xmasandribena reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- archdukeofaspartame reblogged this from lightlycarbonated and added: